Chapelle Saint Jean
Bureau d'Information Touristique Fontvieille

Chapelle Saint Jean du Grès

Historic site and monument

The building is of Romanesque origin: only the apse has been preserved. In 1069, the monks of Montmajour took possession of it. It served as a parish church until 1768, when Saint-Pierre-ès-Liens was consecrated.

The building is of Romanesque origin: only the apse has been preserved. In 1069, the monks of Montmajour took possession of it. It served as a parish church until 1768, when Saint-Pierre-ès-Liens was consecrated.
The chapel is the subject of a procession on 24 June (re-established since 1964). It is currently used for various cultural events.
Located on the olive-growing estate of Mas Saint-Jean, visits are possible on written request to the owners.This small building has a rather singular appearance: 4 large buttresses support the side walls. A small semi-circular apse closes the nave. The barrel vault that covers it rises to more than 8 m. A stone bench runs the length of the nave walls. The dedication of the church to St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist can still be seen on the northern pilaster of the triumphal arch. The entrance, which is now to the east, was originally through a door in the south side, which was later closed. The stone altar, decorated with two statues of St Peter and the Virgin Mary, is reached by means of three steps. To get there, take the "Route de Saint-Jean" to the north-east of the commune of Fontvieille. Today this place is used for cultural events.

Itinéraire
Localisation & Contacts
Route De Saint Jean
13990 Fontvieille
00 33 4 90 54 67 49 Contact us